There are times when the durability of a floor is its most important quality.
Maybe you are redoing the flooring in a mudroom or other entrance to your home. It is also important that the floors of bathrooms and laundry rooms have the durability to withstand constant changes in humidity. The flooring in a cabin or cottage should be able to stand up to the dirt that gets tracked in from outdoors.
No matter what your application, here are our top 5 choices for durable flooring in Ottawa:
1. Vinyl floors are both durable and low-maintenance. Be aware, however, that vinyl floors are often available in several different quality grades, with the higher quality vinyl being thicker. A higher quality vinyl will be more expensive, but will stand up better to high traffic or imperfections on the sub floor that will wear on the vinyl over time.
Vinyl floors are sold in tiles or sheets. While the tiles may be easier to install, they generally are not as durable as the sheets because the tiles can curl up at the corners over time.
2. Laminate floors offer the appearance of hardwood flooring with the least amount of maintenance. Laminate floors are made of plastics and are resistant to scratches and damage from dirt and water, making them an ideal choice for high traffic areas or homes with children or pets.
3. Ceramic tile is a versatile choice of durable flooring as it is available in countless colours, shapes and sizes. While the tiles themselves are easy to clean and low-maintenance, the grout lines between the tiles may require periodic resealing to prevent stains.
4. Natural stone tile (slate and marble are the most common) will add significantly to the value of your home, while providing a very durable flooring option. They can be cured or sealed to make them less porous and easier to clean than untreated stone. The price of natural stone will vary depending on the type and source of the stone, but its beauty is often worth the cost.
5. Finally, our top option for durable flooring is hardwood. A hardwood floor is a timeless and beautiful addition to any home. It will add value to your home and can easily last for the life of your home. Hardwood flooring is available in numerous widths and species. It can also be stained and sealed to offer a variety of different colours and finishes.